Sunday, August 1, 2010

Headin' home to Tennessee..




For the past week, I have been traveling with my mom and dad, and Jesse not only to, but all around the upper peninsula of Michigan. I have re-connected with family, we buried my grandmothers ashes with my grandpa and my sister (who is buried at his feet), we got on each others nerves, we ate too much food, BUT it is a trip I will forever be thankful that I went on, and I loved everyone second of it! I have spent a long time in TN trying to find a new family, or trying to find people to fit in with. This past week has made me realize that my family has been right where I left them this whole time. Just up north, crazy and quirky as ever, full of amazing stories about no only our childhood but our relatives from past generations! So many things that we did this week, I used to do all the time when I was little, but never appreciated. The pure beauty of the Ottawa Forest in itself is breathtaking and I can't believe it has taken me this long to get back up there and really see it. The history of the U.P. is amazing, so many stories, so many things and places to see but without the touristy bs that usually comes with it. Finnish and Swedish accents everywhere, and Chippewa Indians, and the history of how they all got there, and how my family was involved in that move from finland to the UP...it is all so fascinating to me. I have never considered myself a history buff, but I guess I pretty much am if I can visit the places, see the faces, and hear the voices. It's amazing.. Ok, well I guess that is enough of my boring ranting and raving about a place most of you have never even heard of! I guess what it boils down too, is if you suddenly cannot find me, I'll be with the yoopers up in my cabin somewhere up north! go on an adventure and find me! (Here are some pictures that I have taken along my journey)

No comments:

Post a Comment